Monday 11 August 2014

Genre

I'm still struggling to write the first draft of book four of Uprooted. I think I know what it is, I need to research the American school system more, to know when stuff like college applications happen, so I can plot that in. Plus, this is the book where things change drastically for one of my main characters and I'm terrified of doing it wrong. I feel like I've been ham-fisted with a lot of things.

Meanwhile, I'm getting more requests for the risqué stuff I've been writing. I seem to do okay with it. It makes me wonder … am I writing in the wrong genre, aiming for YA? Or can I be like Rowling, and have more than one genre (and just go by a pseudonym because erotica and YA should not be compatible). I don't know. I feel like the emergence of this serendipitous revelation that I'm good at filth is making me question my true abilities. I enjoy writing it too, which is bizarre, because I never thought I would, and because I don't in "real life".

I'm whining, I know. I'm procrastinating. Like I was when doing GISHWHES. Like I do with a lot of things.

I just have a shit tonne of ideas and no real time to write them in.

In other news, today is the last day of my Yearly tracker. I have to finish totalling todays writing when I finish today's writing, but I had the intention of writing 150,000 words this year. Currently, the total is 468,189, plus I have two paragraphs to add in, and others to write because I'm not done yet tonight. Let's round up to 469,000.

Next year's tracker may have to have a higher target. 300,000?

No comments:

Post a Comment