Tuesday 24 June 2014

Asylum series, part four: Misha

So, as I've already said before, I was fortunate enough to win a place in Misha's coffee lounge on Saturday morning. I remember seeing Natalie there, and then I was talking to someone who turned out to be my friend Holly (I felt so dumb when we realised we'd been talking for ages online!) and there was maybe about twelve other people, a few who I recognised, most who I didn't. A lot of age ranges too, from sixteen to sixty. It was pretty freaking cool.

I don't think anyone knew what to expect. We'd heard that sometimes he plays twister or musical chairs, other random stuff like that, but when he came in, he just sat down and started chatting. That's all our forty-five minutes was, just sitting and chilling and talking. You could hear the hubbub of the madness outside and in our room, even though it was warm there was a door open with a nice breeze and it was just so chilled out. It sounds bizarre, but even though he's someone I admire, it felt more like a chat with an old friend in a coffee shop, it was so laid back and the conversation jumped around so much. I don't know if I'm the only one who felt that way (and in retrospect, I may have talked too much, but there were a few moments where it could have been an awkward silence and I had something to contribute so I'm trying not to feel so bad?) but it made the weekend a little easier to deal with, knowing we could just kick back for that period of time, instead of rushing around and overheating in the panel room or the corridors outside.

So, what did we talk about? So many things. He asked us if we had any questions, and asked us some questions. We talked about the failed back door pilot for the spin off and what our thoughts were on that. He gave some advice to Natalie on acting, which she wants to pursue. We talked about the cooking show he does with his son, and his plans for the summer. GISHWHES and Random Acts came up, and we talked about past challenges and how that was shaping this year. It'll sound weird, but it felt like we were talking to Misha-the-person, not Misha-the-persona. It didn't feel like he was putting on an act.

Like, when we were discussing bloodlines, we asked him to be honest with his opinion on it, and he said that we knew he couldn't be completely honest because it would get him into trouble (ha!) whichever way he answered, and then he asked us what was wrong with it and we said it felt like they were trying to make it Supernatural-meets-the-Vampire-Diaries and it didn't gel well, and we couldn't get along with the characters, we'd rather see a character we already knew in the spin-off.

He was pretty open with his plans though, he said after Asylum he was visiting a friend in Amsterdam and was looking forward to it because he'd never been to Amsterdam. And from there he was doing Jus In Bello in Italy, going back to LA for a day and then he and his wife were talking their kids on a 400-mile bike ride through Montana (which I think is where they are now?) and that they'd recently done a practice run for about 45 minutes and they screamed for about 20, so he's got high hopes for their trip.

He told us about this extra in the penultimate episode of season nine (after checking we were all up to date, despite not having any channels showing it over here, then telling us we were all doing something illegal, lol, he didn't care though!) who was supposed to just walk out of the scene with all the other extras, but insisted on stopping by a desk and sorting out her coat and bag, and how annoying she was. And that led to him talking about a series of shorts he wrote with his wife and a friend and how the cameramen walked out near the end and they had to put the cameras on sandbags to finish the shoot.

He's such a funny, warm guy. I wish that forty-five minutes was still going on, if that makes sense? I would love to meet him again and chill out like it.

I can't think of much more he said, which is really bad! I know he mentioned Jared and Jensen torturing him, and West acting more and more like Vicki … but you know what? Everything else I might remember … I'm going to save for me and the other people in that room. If I haven't already blabbed it to you anyway. I know, I know, such a cop-out, right? Sorry :(

No comments:

Post a Comment