Monday 14 July 2014

It's nice to be important. But it's important to be nice.

Someone on my twitter feed wrote the above title as a tweet today. I like it for a few reasons.

Like, more and more, since I left McDonald's, I'm trying to be positive and embrace the good in life. Part of that is trying to see the best in everyone, part of that is finding ways to be kind, or to reach out to people on something relevant to them. Being nice is about making others feel good, because the world is so full of criticisms and harshness and if you can be the brief silver lining in someone's cloudy day, doesn't that have some relevance for the way the world works?

That's not to say by being positive you should be a doormat, and you should always endeavour to stand up for your beliefs. Just find kind ways to be firm. You can be nice for so many things where people get irate. Like, I went to a store recently, and I had to talk to the sales person about something I needed, but at first it felt like she was really unhelpful, and I could feel myself getting worked up, but then I had as quick a rethink as I could, and I rephrased. I asked questions to find out why she couldn't help, and I felt shitty for getting upset in the first place. But you know what? When I left, we were on pretty good terms, because I'd tried to be patient and kind and understand that actually, the situation was as little her fault as it was mine, because that's what I hope for when customers aren't happy in my job.

Or like when the A12 tickets got cancelled, as upset and angry as I was, yelling and being abusive would have led to what, exactly? So I was as polite as I could be through the devastation, and the tickets were reinstated, and actually, I've emailed a couple of times since then for the next two conventions and I feel confident in doing so, because I am polite and patient and just nice. The responses, when I get them, respond to that. Nice leads to nice, and that leads to happy.

It makes me look back on McDonald's and wonder why I ever put up with the way things were there. The way you had to compromise your morals and friendships in order to keep the wheel turning one more day. But there was no gratitude for they way they stomped on your soul and sucked your time, just an expectation that you step up quicker, next time. I cannot be around that anymore, or anything like it. Not when there's so much in the world that is amazing, and worthwhile.

Or like on goodreads, where I do discuss books with other frequently. There's a member I've debated/clashed with for a long time. I used to think it was me. I endeavoured to take my new, embrace-the-positive attitude to those conversations, or else move away. And I've realised - albeit with the help of others - that it was never me. It was always her negativity. And now that I've let it go, I'm really enjoying the conversations with everyone else on there.

The world is so full of good-natured, friendly people. It's just that sometimes, one negative person can make the world seem like it's full of anger, and lies, and depravity. It's times like those - like the other day - where I just try to take five, and then find those who are being positive. I want to surround myself with good, and happy, and love, because I've had enough sadness to last me for the rest of my life now.

I think this is why I embrace statements like the above, or things like Random Acts, which is about being kind and considerate. I love Misha forever for creating such a great concept. I can't wait for GISHWHES in a couple of weeks, which is his biggest fundraiser, and completely mental, according to my more experienced teammates.

And all of the above … I'll be honest, it's why I haven't posted so much lately. I've had a fair bit of negativity in my comments since my Destiel post - which I stand by - and I felt like this was a negative place. I feel compromised being here, a little. But this is my blog, and it's where I reason things out, and I'm not going to let a few unfounded comments put me off being here. This blog is going to grow again, and it's going to grow from love. I may still have my whiney posts - I am human - but remember that they're fleeting, and that I'm aiming for something different now. I'm aiming for happy, however I can harness that. I'm considering doing 100 happy days on here, just to enforce that. Because happiness is in big shows, and tiny efforts, it's in smiles and compliments or a comfortable silence with an old friend. It's a book, or writing, or hugs with my son. Happiness is everywhere, I'm just going to make sure I've got my eyes open.

3 comments:

  1. This is such an absolutely wonderful post! It filled me with love and happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then why don't we start talking again? That will take away so much negativity. What you said is how I feel; life is too short for anger and crappiness. I'm just saying ... If you want to start fresh then this is surely a good place to start? I am tired of feeling negative about all of this too. And life in general.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel that you're still misunderstanding me. I explained how I felt, and I'm taking it one step at a time, but you really hurt me over the last couple of months, and I can't just spring back from that. I explained all that. But I'm trying. I was never the one trying to throw it all away, and this post has been everything I've been trying to say through all of it. It's been my perspective on life since at least October, and perhaps as long as I've been given a second chance at life. What happened in May wasn't the trigger for this post, at all.

      I understand you might want to start fresh, but you have to understand why I would find that hard. Please just let me take the baby steps, the rest will come from that.

      Delete