Wednesday 13 March 2013

I am a bad blogger

I keep saying I will blog more, that I will review books and use this space to write about my own journey in the world of writing, but I'm obviously terrible at this. Sorry.

There are a few reasons for this. Consider this an introductory post that would be better placed as an info page (maybe in a couple of years) to explain why:

-First, I have a full time job. I work in theory, 45 hours less breaks a week. A break is forty-five minutes, depending on whether I have given other people breaks (the joy of middle management in shift work), and a shift is nine hours depending on whether I actually get out on time (clue: I don't). Like, tonight I'm meant to be working a 4pm - 1am shift, but I have to be there at 3.40pm at the latest and will probably be there until 2.30am. So I don't get a lot of time past work.

-Second, I'm a full time parent, shiftwork dependent. When I'm off, and he's not at school, I am in charge. Hard to blog when you're a mother to a very active and imaginative five year old boy. I spend a lot of time removing him from jumping off furniture/telling him he can't swing his toy swords about so close to the TV/ornaments.

-Third, as I said, I'm a writer, I like to write in my free time, as rare as that is. Blogging is such a great exercise in writing but if I have a scene in my head, that's going to take precedence.

-Fourth ... not meaning to whinge, or start a pity party, but a few years ago, I got pretty sick. Like, on my deathbed, having intense treatment at the hospital sick. I'm like, eighty percent okay now, but there are things that it does affect still. I can sleep like crazy, and feel tired if I get less than eight hours. I can wake up after that and feel more tired than when I went to bed. I also have a few memory/attention problems, so feel free to call me out if I start to talk about something, go off on a tangent and forget what I was writing about. Even reading through will not help me notice it, which I know is shocking, but for me blogging and writing are two different formats (like a letter to your mum and your bank manager will be different in grammar use, format, length, formality etc) and I also can't leave a blog post two months for editing before posting. That's a little ridiculous. The other things it affects come through when I speak, so hopefully you won't notice so much.

So I will blog when I can, but since I think these are four valid reasons, I can be forgiven for however infrequent I post. But since I have no readers, I think I'm safe from being persecuted.

Until next time, whenever that is!

No comments:

Post a Comment