Thursday 17 October 2013

Change

I guess I can write this now ... my slightly cryptic/shittily worded message about my friend Lydia in my last post? Was about something truly awesome.

She's given me a new job.

I'm posting now because a)it's official. I has emails, and b)I just emailed my boss to let him know that my resignation exists and is in our store. Both the letter and the email were really hard to write, I've only ever written one letter of resignation before and that was 10 years ago when I left the gym I was a cleaner at. I only worked there six months, not quite as huge an impact on my life as the 8&1/2 years I've spent flipping burgers for a living. Somehow, even though I'm excited and I get to work with awesome people and I get a shoe allowance, I feel like I'm failing in some way. Maybe it's because I know that I couldn't make management work as well as I wanted to with my health the way it is.

Or maybe because it's been 8&1/2 years in the same place and I'm not used to changing my employers the way some people are. Or because being in the training room today made my head spin as bad as it has been the last week. They need oxygen in there. I don't know. I just know I'm excited and nervous at the same time. I'll get settled soon, I'm sure.

So ... yeah. There we go. I will now be selling shoes for a living.

I love shoes.

4 comments:

  1. Dont over think it! Take it one day at a time and enjoy it. It is a huge change but one that you need.

    Just take it easy on yourself. You havent failed. You have made it work through the shit storm they gave you. Now you are moving on for your own sake. Be proud and dont for one second think you failed.

    Love you x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! My mum was annoying me a minute ago, I know she means well, but she still wants me to put Macs before the new job, and when I said it doesn't work that way she started whining. Like, seriously, is it that hard to just be happy that I'm moving on?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a big move and will feel daunting at first, but I'll do everything within my power to make it amazing for you! At the end of the day, you deserve to be treated better than how you currently are. You're not a slave, you're an employee - you have rights!
    Take it one day at a time though - a new job is always a little scary at first and this is so different to what you're used to. Once you're in the swing of things, I think you'll really enjoy it. And think of all those extra hours you''ll have to see the boy! And all those sleep-filled nights!!!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know I appreciate this so much, and I can't think of any way that the old job is better ... but all the same, it's not your job to accomodate them, it should be vice versa. I've checked the employee handbook, and my mum's been googling. That week-per-year rule? It's if they end my employment without sacking me for gross misconduct. The handbook only says I need to give a week. The only other contract I've signed is the trainee manager one, and that just agrees to the terms of the training programme. Knew it was a load.

    ReplyDelete