Monday 2 September 2013

Car insurance

So, I've been roadworthy for just over a year. I have a second generation fiesta zetec, which is an awesome car to drive with a lousy reputation (it's okay Fifi, I can relate, even in Italy someone was asking if we were going to try Vesuvius in stilettos. I hugged the awesome heart-patterned converse I was wearing then, too) anyway, because of it's crappy reputation + my newness in driving, my insurance was horrible last year. I mean, for a twenty-seven year old novice. It was like, £1300 best offer, and most were £4000.

I have a whole year's no claims. I've just renewed my insurance (this time with a company I've actually heard of before) and it's half of last year's offer.

I'm still female. It's still a fiesta. I'm still a girl. I still hit the curb a little yesterday. It's still awkward as hell answering those questionnaires thanks to my 24-7 shift-patterned store (I have 7 overnights this week, but the majority of the time I will be parking on my drive, so ...) so how comes one year of no major road problems nets me a £650 average quote?

Logic's a bitch.

3 comments:

  1. Because you've proved to them you are safe to insure! The logic is there. Somewhere.

    After my tiny tiny accident my insurance went up by nearly double. Even now if I look at quotes its still very high and my accident was nearly 2 years ago. They really punish you if you have to claim for anything.

    Cat x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes sense to me, surely the most likely time you will have an accident is when you are brand new to driving and still learning? I think they are more worried about the damage to someone else's car anyway. lol

    And to think I was moaning about having to pay £200 on mine. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just thought the decline would be smaller after a year, so instead of it being £1300 it would be more like £1000. And this time around, I'd heard of the companies, rather than the only decent offers being from net companies I'd never heard of. Those companies last time were the ones going for the £4000 insurance, so that makes even less sense. The company I went with last time were the same price this time too, so again ... huh?

    ReplyDelete