Wednesday 10 April 2013

The Internet's Greatest Love Story

Forget things like Match.com or eHarmony. I'm part of the greatest love story ever created online.

We met when I was eighteen, and a few months away from completing my A2 levels. We were introduced by a friend I had made online, who I trusted more than most.

There were a lot of us back then, close to thirty, all with common interests and a similar sense of humour. We even had similar backgrounds in terms of how we'd been treated at school or whatever by the things that made us happy.

And after a year or so, I started getting really close ... to four of them. Actually, at the time it was five, but we don't talk about her. The one who broke our hearts. A fivesome works without her.

It must weird people out to discover that the best friends I have, the most amazing people in my life, are people I started talking to through a computer screen. That I would trust them with my life, with my everything.

They don't live near me, or near each other. We see each other very rarely, which means it's all the better when we do meet up.

Last time we were all free to, one of us couldn't go. We didn't understand, because she's more outgoing than most of us, but it turned out her dad had passed away the day before.

We just sent her a care package (and I will pay you back, Kel!) to show that no matter where we are, or how far away, or whether we can catch each other with five different schedules - we all thought of her. She got it today and we're having a love-in on her facebook when we can, and I just feel so incredibly lucky that, with all the horror stories out there online, I've met the people I will have in my life for the rest of my life on the net.

So whenever I mention Cat, or Kelly, or Charli, or Jodie on here ... just remember they are the loves of my life (plus my son) okay? And remember that love can come from anywhere ... even a website. I can't imagine life without any of them.

2 comments:

  1. I love you and I believe in you and I wish I could do more to make you happy.

    I truly didn't realise TTP still affects you like it does. I'm so sorry if I ever came across as not understanding. It was pure ignorance on my behalf.

    you mean the world to me.

    Cat x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you too!

    The thing is, I've been unfortunate enough to have something that isn't well known and every day I'm learning a little bit more about what happened and how it affects me. It's not a big thing with friends, but it makes my work difficult. Every time I mention how it's affecting me, it becomes a competition. I can't be worse off because I haven't done as much as someone else, or because I'm a manager and we're not human. I'm not looking for a competition, I guess I'm just being stupid and expecting that when you ask for help or understanding you might actually get it. I'm on my break now and I've been here four hours and I'm still not awake properly. No idea how I'll get tomorrow done.

    But you are amazing in comparison because I know I don't stay in touch as much as I want to or as much as I should but it never seems to be an issue between us. Even if I can't articulate it well, that means so much. I'm so lucky.

    ReplyDelete