Tuesday 23 April 2013

When did you decide you wanted to be a writer?

Okay, this has been bugging me for a while. This is a question I've seen/heard in a lot of interviews (can also be "When did you decide you wanted to be a singer/actor/athlete" as applicable by profession) and it always irritates me.

Can I alter the question slightly so people can understand how I hear it?

"When did you decide you were hungry?"
"When did you decide to breathe oxygen?"
"When did you decide to wake up this morning?"

So, when do you decide to do something so intrinsic to your basic make up? Once you mastered the skill of it and decided this was what was missing previously in your life? Like, I've always been good with math, but I wasn't born knowing 6+7 would always equal 13. I learnt the basics, and remembered them for next time. But there wasn't a set time limit, I didn't wake up one day just knowing quadratic equations and that day, that exact day, was the day I knew and understood maths.

Likewise, I can't remember when I loved writing first. I know my year 4 teacher had some crazy good ideas for creative stories and that's what led me to understand creativity comes from within. I had a large book collection of my own, and frequently went to the library, so words made sense to me so much. I even remember in high school my teachers were so into the basics of English that there wasn't any room for creativity (we did a few creative writing projects. Did they never notice my marks crept up from 6/7 out of ten to 9/10 when we got those few projects?) and I stopped writing things down for a few years. Note, I did not stop creating, I just wrote in my head, I would storyboard in my head constantly. They were daydreams, but they were better than nothing. And then my friend Sammie introduced me to fanfics and I had like, a major release from my years of not writing. I was catching up.

If you're a writer, or a singer, or an actor, or a footballer, that's who you are, whatever level of success you have (and what is success defined as? Fame? Wealth? Ability? A combination? A sense of realism or sticking to the rules? Personal goals being met, whatever, surely?) and it's not something you can decide upon. It's just a question of finding the thing that gets the fire burning in your gut, the thing that is your compulsion in life, and not ignoring that outlet in spite of what life throws at you.

I did not choose to be a writer. I am a writer. Like I am a brunette. Like my eyes are both green and blue. Like the sun rises in the morning and sets in the evening.

I am a writer. Fact.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this post... particularly the last paragraph. Very empowering! Fact. ;)
    Lydia xx

    ReplyDelete