Sunday 29 December 2013

Christmas presents

I haven't really talked about Christmas, have I? It's kind of low-key for me these days, the bigger thrill being seeing Noah enjoy his presents before they get discarded for lego and the TV. But still, I did get some things. A gorgeous hand-crafted cushion, which is cream with nine different-patterned hearts on it (I'll do a photo later), £25 (I put it towards those wedge faux-sheepskin boots from Dune I put in the last post), a Harry Potter bookmark from some manager/friend/reader, made by a new friend made through NaNo, who also runs Made By Birdies:


A box of Thornton's chocolates, some spoons from my son with a theme I approve of:


And two books:



I've read some of the Etymologicon so far, it's fascinating. Like, Lord and Lady come from bread. The longest sentence in the English language that makes sense with various spoken inflections is Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo. Nazi is an abbreviation of the name Ignatus (you're thinking Harry potter too!) and is a typical name of a Bavarian peasant, and meant as an insult. It was given to Hitler's party as an insult - so long as the Gestapo weren't listening, I guess. It's just … it's incredible for a geek like me. Can't wait to crack the Horologicon either.

That was it, by the way. I said it was low-key, but everything I did receive was so perfect, I'm really grateful. And I promise not to break them, like Noah's already broken his. And I won't forget them, like he's going to forget the Aqua Dragons my sister bought him (I'm fascinated by those too, they can reproduce 5 different ways, some of their offspring are born as larvae, some as eggs that quickly turn to larvae, and some that need to dry out first, so even if this lot die, if they've laid eggs they can rise again) and I'll be the one feeding them every few days like they're meant to be fed.

No comments:

Post a Comment