Friday 13 December 2013

Siobhan's Sporking: Billy and Me, Chapter 26

I’ve read ahead again, passed this chapter. I need to lay off the sugar, because chapter 27 is saccharine enough.

But we’re on chapter 26! And for this chapter, we get shots of my tired, puffy, red face every time I get triggered by one of my usual rants. Like this:


Yeah, that’s a cloak I’m wearing. It’s super warm. And it’s not my only cloak …

Anyway, chapter 26 starts two weeks after Molly’s death, so maybe a few days since the funeral? Giovanna doesn’t really make it clear. There’s a line that already gets my back up:

… the shop has remained closed during that time while I try to recover from the loss of two important people in my life in close succession, pondering on how to move forward.

So now Molly’s death and breaking up with Billy are on par. She’s finally elevated the death of her friend to the level of being sad her relationship didn’t work out. Grrrrr …


Sophie says the pictures are still coming every day from Billy. I call bullshit. That’s a huge reliance on the postal system, which everyone knows is crap, and there’s no post on Sundays … is Billy hand delivering these? Sophie shows her so-called bookworm abilities at last, and totally gets categorised by my bitchiness:

It seems he has been making his way through some of the classics that I’d mentioned to him when we were together. Wuthering Heights, Sense and Sensibility and Jude the Obscure are just a few of the books he’s been quoting.

First off, Tom’s amazingly talented sister Carrie has done a song/video about reading which features way too many shit books, but still:



Anyway, my point earlier, my categorising of Sophie … she’s a book poser. A poseur. Seriously, no one is that obsessed with the classics and only the classics. The only type of person who only likes classics is the type of person who doesn’t read but doesn’t want to come across as ignorant, so they cling to books written by Brontes and Austen and maybe a couple of the easier Dickens, and though they don’t actually read the books they maybe saw a period drama or maybe got the cliff notes. Like, I’ve never read Romeo and Juliet, but I can tell you that it’s about two thirteen-year-olds who start an illicit relationship although Juliet is betrothed to Paris (who treats her well) at the cost of a war between their families. And Romeo dicks Juliet about but she still prefers Romeo being a prick to the Nice Guy that Paris is. And then they get raging hormones and get married in secret, one of them fakes their death and the other kills themself, thinking it was real. It was written as a satire over the idiotic children that Shakespeare saw all the freaking time.

Never read a word of it. But everyone knows the storyline. And also, those stories are pretty famous. You can Google ‘love quotes’ and get hundreds. I did it recently and got a load of F Scott Fitzgerald macros. Here’s some from her aforementioned books:

“My heart is, and always will be, yours.” – Sense and Sensibility.

“But nobody did come; because nobody ever does. And under the crushing weight of his gigantic error Jude wished himself out of the world” – Jude the Obscure.

“Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.” – Wuthering Heights.

“Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let the pain make you hate. Do not let bitterness steal your sweetness. Take pride that even though the rest of the world may disagree you still believe it to be a beautiful place.” – Sense and Sensibility.

At first I did not love you, Jude; that I own. When I first knew you I merely wanted you to love me. I did not exactly flirt with you; but that inborn craving which undermines some women's morals almost more than unbridled passion--the craving to attract and captivate, regardless of the injury it may do the man--was in me; and when I found I had caught you, I was frightened.” – Jude the Obscure

“If he loved you with all the power of his soul for a whole lifetime, he couldn’t love you as much as I do in a single day.” – Wuthering Heights.

“It isn’t what we say or think that defines. It’s what we do.” – Sense and Sensibility.

“You have never loved me as I love you--never--never! Yours is not a passionate heart--your heart does not burn in a flame! You are, upon the whole, a sort of fay, or sprite-- not a woman!” – Jude the Obscure.

“Be with me always – take any form – drive me mad! Only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” – Wuthering Heights.

It took me ten minutes to find all those quotes. There’s three apiece. I just filled one week. How exactly is this some huge romantic gesture on Billy’s part? Even Sophie says

I still can’t imagine him finding the time to sit down and read them, or having the concentration to do so, but something tells me he must be.


 Seriously. Google.

Are you guys having the thought I had after the second picture came? The one that goes ‘well, there’s no return address, and she hasn’t sent anything back to Billy, so why is Billy doing this, exactly? Why doesn’t he give up?


(Yeah, I love Mervin, Mrs Hyde, Gehayi and Ket Makura!)

Don’t worry, Sophie takes care to explain this to us, as his latest picture (how many did they take, exactly?) arrives with a quote from Pride and Prejudice. By explaining, I mean

Needless to say, I’ve never written back, so I justify opening them by telling myself that Billy will keep sending them regardless, blind to whether I’m looking at them or not.

Now, I’m not a huge feminist, or one of those people who freaks out over little things by blowing them out of proportion (much, anyway) but this doesn’t sit right. ‘Oh, he’s just going to phone me and breath down the phone heavily anyway, regardless of whether I pick up or leave for voicemail.’ ‘Oh, he’s going to hang in my bushes whether I want him to trespass or not.’ … seriously, this is actually a form of intimidation/stalking, dressed up as romance.


Just saying.

The next sentence is getting a face.

Despite their not seeing me, the support from the community has been unwavering.


That’s my Fuck Off And Die face, by the way. I have scared drunk men with that face. You know what you did, Giovanna.

So, the neighbors have left meals and flowers and cards for Sophie. Bit much, really. At least there’s one glimmer of reality in all this blatant Mary Sue Worship.

I’m touched by their kindness, yet dubious as to whether I deserve it.

Hello, editor! It gets worse, apparently all these wonderful tokens are going to Sophie’s mum at work, so Sophie has no need to interact with them (she justifies it as being given the space she needs … but I get the feeling these people are actually being sympathetic to her mum for dealing with her, and her mum’s lying to spare her precious feelings) which suits her fine.

She contradicts herself and makes my head hurt:

… although I’m hardly using the time productively. I’ve been trying to do all I can to keep my mind occupied so that I don’t have to think too much about the past or future – but I can’t concentrate.

So … she’s busy doing fuck all? Seriously, she then cuts to how, about a week after the funeral, she’s sat in the kitchen doing an impossipuzzle
which I always finds helps me thing, so whatever Sophie. I’m pretty sure it’s the beans one, she describes identical orange pieces. And then there’s a knock at the door (but did she finish the border, at least?) and it’s Peter, Molly’s son. He’s tapping his legs again, so he’s really cut up over losing his mother. As you would be, I guess? They swap more platitudes, which are dialogue-tagged with things like ‘a glum smile’. A glum smile? What is that?


Maybe?

Peter’s there to give Sophie keys. But not Sophie’s keys, Molly’s keys, so … why did Sophie need to open up the TeaShop for the wake? Why couldn’t he be returning her … never mind. I give up. I should be used to shouting my brand of logic at TV shows and books and films when they go on a completely stupid tangent and ruin a really compelling storyline. I should be used to all common fucking sense leaving the building. If people just asked questions … you know, one thing I’d like to think I’ve achieved in writing the Uprooted series is that you can have a compelling storyline without all these forced twists, that things seem organic throughout, and that maybe you can stretch out a certain type of storyline without making it feel dragged out. If someone ever turned around to me and said that, I’d be so chuffed. I know it hasn’t happened yet, because so many people called me out on Fearn at the end of the first book, which I will change … but when editing is completed …

I’m off on a tangent, sorry. So Sophie and Peter vomit words about Peter leaving for the airport, and they have a long, unlikely conversation, including such literary gold as:

“There’s some legal jargon in there, too, but I think everything’s sorted now.”


Yeah … you’re an adult, Peter. And “legal jargon” is not so neat. It took me two hours to legally change my surname by change of name deed, and that’s an easy paperwork (I took on my stepdad’s name when I was 21, he’s been my stepdad since I was 4) I’d imagine the reading of the will, the allocation of assets, it would all take a long time. And why the hell do you have all this? As a beneficiary, Sophie should have been at the will reading in order to know what she was being left. Peter should not have her keys, or deeds to the teashop, or any of it. My stepsister’s husband is a property lawyer, I’m sure he’d be annoyed at this representation of his career.

The entire focus of this conversation is on Sophie. I want to rage on and on about this so much.

He.

Has.

LOST.

HIS.

MOTHER!

FOR FUCK’S SAKE!

There’s a horrible time jump into the middle of the night, and Sophie’s just staring at the keys. And I’m just


There’s some blah-blah-blah about Sophie not reacting like she did when her dad died, and how she won’t mope for the next seventeen years (finally! Character growth!) and she will improve!

And then she visits the shop. In the middle of the night. There’s a lot of messages of support (?) stuck to the doors and windows. I got so sentimental at this part.

They’re wonderful messages of love and thanks, showing how much Molly meant to everyone within the community. Once I’ve read them all and absorbed their warmth, I put the key in the lock and let myself in.

Yep, I am feeling them feels.

I instantly feel the love oozing from all around me as I remember how much devotion and joy was poured into the place every day, and not just by Molly and me, but by all the elderly women, mums and schoolgirls who chose it as the place to visit as they mulled over their lives.

She’s sitting alone, in the middle of the night, in a darkened tea shop. I’m sure she’s surrounded by love. Or, more likely, she’s surrounded by a chill from the lack of adequate heating and an absence that seems profound during the dead of night, with no one around, making her feel the pain of the loss of Molly more. But that’s what a smart writer would do, I guess?

Sophie brings up something she mentioned on her first date with Billy, which hurt my head a lot. Remember I said she was going to shat all over everything she talked about in her poem? Yeah, she says her dream was to run a teashop, and sell ‘gift ideas’, flowers and books too. It sounds scarily eclectic, and far too busy for one inexperienced girl to manage on her own. Anyway, she blames going out with Billy for never pursuing that dream and spends the rest of the night just sitting in the chair, smiling to herself and dreaming up ways to bastardise the shop. Then she does the walk of shame home.

We then get drivel about how, even in London, she never touched her savings, or any of Billy’s money, because she was frugal … so what money did she use? How did she come by it? How frugal can you be on about three days worth of work at a coffee bar?

Anyway, so she’s sat on the sofa, feeling smug about her finances and sketching out ideas for how her teashop could look. Molly’s grave is still warm, you know? Her mum walks in after about a morning of sketching and asks what she’s doing. She’s cagey at best.

“What are they?” she asks.
“Just little ideas …”
“They look pretty.”

And then her mum watches her draw. I hope those pictures end up on the fridge. She starts spilling her guts about one idea and I’m like, dude, I know a few people who do their own craftwork. You don’t sit there banging on about one design. Like, Sarah at Made By Birdies was watching the Narnia films, and did about four different necklaces, a bracelet and a couple of bookmarks – oh, and a ring – all based on Narnia. In one DAY. I may have bought one of the necklaces …

So, Sophie and her mother talk about her idea and her mother is currently the Other Character There To Love Sophie Unconditionally, which I know is a mum thing, but still, I’m too pissed at this book. And then Sophie’s mum suggests her new beau to help with some of the carpentry. Because that’s man’s work. And Sophie gets excited, and the chapter ends and we can celebrate that there’s only 5% more (and, I think, about three more chapters!)


Tune in next time for more We Love Sophie, and more Sophie Dramatics! I can hardly wait.


We’re nearly there, people!

No comments:

Post a Comment