Tuesday 18 February 2014

This is difficult

Not difficult in comparison to my last post, but I'm editing Uprooted, for the first time in about a year. It's slow going and I've expanded some things and deleted others and concentrating is helping me avoid the real issue at the moment.

I'm on page 169 of 274 right now, and although I know why I included this part, and why that section is relevant, I'm now wondering how much of it I need.

I'm clearly in the wrong frame of mind for this. I want to delete plot points. Or maybe rewrite. I don't want to rewrite again, but hmmmm. I go to sleep thinking about Carter and Lambrini when they're 20, 22, 25, 30, 50 … I may have distance from this book, but I never get distance from the story. The later stories don't refer to the earlier ones as much as they maybe should, because I'm already resolving the first books remaining issues in the third and fourth books in order to introduce new themes in their lives, so maybe that's the influence in me wanting to delete about 30 pages of storyline.

Those who have read … thoughts? I clearly need a professional editor.

**Edit** and now I'm on page 183 of 274 and my eyes are crossing over. I'm going to stop for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment