Friday 24 January 2014

Editing.

So, I'm almost finished with Reunited - doing the final couple of chapters this week - and it's time for me to finish Departed, and edit Uprooted. All fine. I put a tweet up about it, because I should definitely use my twitter more, and someone has added me based on that tweet. She's an editor, so I checked out her page and a lot of the books she's edited have been spiritual self-help books. And although neither of us have mentioned her actually editing my books, I feel like she's dancing around the notion … but she's not edited Young Adult or New Adult, which my books are going to waver between. Editors should definitely have some experience in your genre if they're going to do your book justice, aren't they? I mean, she seems like a good person and I don't want to be rude, but I also don't want to disrespect the work I've put in. Like, someone I met through fanfiction.net recommended an editor but when we talked about what the editor looks for in a book we realised that my books were never going to be compatible. And that's not because I'm rude or she's incompetent, I think you need to have someone who truly understands the market edit your book, because, say, a historical crime writer isn't going to necessarily understand the criteria of a kid's detective book.

Maybe I'm just over thinking it. I'm still looking into my options and doing my research. I still need to email Authorhouse again.

*edit* Also, I'm this close *holds fingers up really close together* to finishing Reunited. 99,991 words. 211 pages. And I'm getting a brain block on Carter's penultimate chapter, which is the third-from-last actual chapter. And now I have to go pick up my boy, bring him home, get changed, freak out at my hair and go to work. At least I can storyboard as I organise shoes and dust shelves, I guess.

I emailed AuthorHouse. Tried to be neutral, may have come across as an arsehole. I get those two muddled up so easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment