Friday 3 January 2014

This is how I squander my writing time.

So, when I first started writing Uprooted, I wrote exclusively from Lambrini's point of view (well, the version before this. When I first started, it was in third person) and I really struggled. It seemed really uninteresting.

When I wrote Uprooted, in the format it's in now, she came a lot easier. Carter could be a little difficult to write, because at first he was really closed off and he opens up more as the books go along.

So now I'm writing Reunited, which is when I saw the storyline naturally starting to go from being about Lambrini more to being about Carter more. And I'm once again struggling to write Lambrini. Carter's bits come easily. Like, I took a week trying to write Lamb's last section, and Carter's latest one has taken about three hours.

I'm wondering whether I should ditch Lamb all together, but I don't want to. Because I feel weird narrating as Carter sometimes, and Lamb is a welcome break from freaking myself out whenever Carter starts talking about boobs. I just don't want to do what some authors do and fuck about with the narration too much. Even if the start of this one is about 50 straight pages of Carter.

I'm just spleening. Ignore me. I'm obviously not going to fuck about with it now.

**edit**

Nerdy things of note - I'm now doing the 100k in 100 days challenge. Get in, love having a target! It's a good motivator to write! Day three and I've done 4587 … well on target ;) Reunited (Uprooted book 3) is now 77566 words long, and I have done 142294 words of the 150000 target I set myself in August for the year. I now have around 8 months to write just 7706 words. I think I need to reset my challenge. or else take advantage of the extra time after the 100k in 100 days to edit and prepare for publishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment