Monday 20 January 2014

When your writing runs away from you ...

… and you manage nearly 7, 000 words in a day. Feels good.

Okay, 1,400 words were on the last blog post, summarising (ha! More like waffling on about) Supernatural. But 5,500 words of my third book? Fuck yeah! It's easily going to be as long as the first. Things are starting to move towards the bigger picture, and the last couple of scenes were pretty intense, so I'm really happy! Once it's finished, I'm going to leave it, finish the second book, leave that, and edit the first book properly. I think I can keep up with the different mentalities as I go between the ages as well as between Lambrini and Carter. We'll see, I guess?

It's been my most productive writing day ever, and it's not even 11pm. That's crazy to me!

I'm wishing I signed up for MilWordY now, it's a million words in a year. I'm clearly capable of writing that many words, but I don't know what gets accepted towards the word counts. Like, my analysis posts, my Uprooted series and my fanfics are the only things I'm counting towards the 100K in 100 days, but I've almost hit the halfway point of that challenge and I have 80 days left. I'm joking with one of the people in charge, who I met through NaNo (Gerald Hornsby) that I'm beating him lol, because we're both way ahead. He's retired, so that's why he's so far ahead. And I'm just addicted to pressing the keys on a keyboard, apparently? Actually, I just did the math, I'd be a few thousand words behind on MilWordY, with my current writing progress averaged out, I'd hit 900K.

900K in a year. Fuck. My 150K challenge was pathetic, wasn't it? And I thought it was a good target for the first year I recorded my progress (for anyone sad enough for my statistics, I'm currently at 186,776 on that count, two weeks after I hit 150K. 30K in two weeks!)

I guess the most important question to be answered now, and I know of two people who could give the relevant feedback, is - have I written anything of quality?

Speaking of speed writing, Gerald linked to an article about this one writer, Russell Blake, who writes a new novel and publishes every five weeks. He's released 25 books in the past thirty months, at a 200-odd page length. Not bad (what is that, like, 50K after formatting? I'm at 198 in word on 11-point font, probably translates at about 350 in comparison, and the story I'm writing now, the one I mentioned, is currently at 94097) … in three years, that's approximately 1,250,000 words.

My only real issue in publishing my work now, apart from my obvious edits, is to fund having an editor. Debating putting it on my credit card, and seeing if I can hire two people, one to edit the English parts, one to edit the American parts. Thoughts? I don't want to publish without having edited.

1 comment:

  1. Ahem. 21 days into a 100 day challenge, and I've gotten past the halfway point. I am so close to ending Reunited now I can taste it! Just have to get back onto Departed … brain block!

    ReplyDelete