Friday 29 November 2013

Decisions ...

The problem with deciding to self-publish and use images close to your main characters on the front cover, when you've made up some jewellery within the storyline, is finding anything like what you imagined. Maybe I should just advertise for an artist?

The other thing I've noticed … getting an editor is an expensive business. Someone charges 0.08 cents per word - about $800 for a full novel - someone else does £30 a page (so a 200 page novel is £6,000?!) … there's no guarantee that you'll even make that money back when selling your book. Why do freelance editors charge so much? And the fees for creating cover art … I want to do this as affordable as possible. I've asked my sister to model, and a friend to photoshop the image … they'll get paid somehow, but right now … why does money have to come into it so much?

Also, Lydia, is this what you're charging to edit that site? Because dayum!

1 comment:

  1. No :( I give a set amount for work but because I'm not an all important, already-made-it, legit literary person, I usually say about £50 a piece, depending on size :(

    ReplyDelete