Wednesday 12 March 2014

Banking bankers!

You know when you venture into the bank on one of those rare days when you can't use online (because you lost the device that allows you to send cash between your account and your friends)? And some perky teller informs you that you haven't had a review in a while? That happened to me when I sent Lydia the money for my herbalife. I said I didn't know my schedule and she was like 'call us when you do!' and I was like 'okay!' *subtext: no. I don't do phones*

And then you find out someone's selling their ticket to the sold out writer's day, and you arrange to have their ticket so the next week you're back to do that transfer, and you get the same teller who recognises your face? And she asks if you have your schedule yet and you recognise when you're beaten by perky bank staff (I'm being mean, she's really lovely, but I just don't buy all this "our banks have lots of perks!" Bullshit. Low interest on borrowing, higher interest on spending, no overdraft, that's all I really want) and set up an appointment.

That happened to me.

Okay, I'm resistant to reviews. This was my third, and they all go the same way. Perky teller insists you set one up. You do. You go. Bank advisor then sits you down and asks 'so, why did you want to see us?' and I get into bitchy mode. YOU wanted me to come in, YOU tell me what this is about, MY wishes with my bank are simple. Especially with my bank, which is kinda … look, they didn't sell customer details like another one, and they've not had much trouble with payments, like their sister bank. But they are renowned for being slightly shit. You probably own more of my money than I do. We're all shareholders in this bank. It's that one, the part-government owned one. Basically, all I want is for them to not spend my money and to not lose my money, and reward me with a better interest rate on savings than 0.001% like I get.

Anyway, so I went today. And I got The Question. But once that was over, it was pretty cool. She recommended getting rid of my credit card - I know, right! - she's suggested getting me another one, with a smaller APR%, but my limit would only be £400 less than it is now. She said I was good at banking, which is news to me because she could see ALL my iTunes and Amazon kindle spends. She could also see I worked at Dune and said she was jealous because she loves the shoes, haha! Anyway, so yeah, I'm going down to a smaller overdraft, only one credit card, instead of my current two, and I now have a loan to counter my old overdraft and what was left on my credit card. Which sounds ridiculous, but I'll be paying out what I already do on them, and less of that will go on interest which means I'll pay them off sooner. I got it when she was talking, thank god (otherwise I would have been like, 'can I think about this?' and never spoke again) and I'm actually really excited that it's less to think about. I don't like being in debt, even if that debt is my overdraft.

You probably know far too much about my money habits with this blog. All I can tell you on top of this is, I'm pretty controlled. I only have one pair of Steve Madden boots. I could legitimately have more. I get 20% discount on those babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment